Sunday, January 16, 2011

RIP Greg Hjorth

I woke up early this morning and was shocked to learn of Australian IM Greg Hjorth passing from The Closet Grandmaster blog at the age of 47.

Greg was a strong junior when I first met him in 1981. We were playing in a masters tournament in Hong Kong and I was told he was one of the Australian talented juniors. I had difficulty pronouncing his name and finally he told me to just call him "Horth".

He left Australia for the US in 1990's or thereabouts. He was not very active while in the US.

In recent years he had returned to Australia and attempted to compete in some tournaments there.

Greg is one of those talented players who decided very early that a career in chess is not the sort of life for him.

My condolences to his family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment