Monday, July 19, 2010

Le beats Ponomariov

Dortmund 2010 is currently in progress and round four was played last night (Malaysian local time).

I was watching "Angels and Demons" on Astro last night and completely forgot to log in to Playchess to observe the Dortmund games. Which is a pity because I missed Vietnam's chess prodigy GM Le Quang Liem beat the tournament leader GM Ruslan Ponomariov. And make it look easy.

I wrote about Le here  and here . His progress is quite amazing. He won the Aeroflot Open to qualify for Dortmund, his first super GM tournament. Now he has for company such elite players like Kramnik, Ponomariov, Leko and so on. It kind of brings to mind Carlsen's career path from few years back. Carlsen won the Corus "C" group in 2004, qualified for the "A" group in 2007 and progressed from strength to strength ever since. He is currently the highest rated player on the ELO list.

Of course this leads me to my favourite topic - when will Malaysia produce a player of similar strength? If we do, my money is still on Yeoh Li Tian to be the one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment