Monday, September 7, 2009

Carlsen to train under Kasparov

A Chessbase report that Kasparov is reportedly working with chess superstar Magnus Carlsen with the aim of propelling the Norwegian to be the world number one. I have to admit this really caught me by surprise and even had me checking the calendar if today is April 1st. Nope, it is still September 7th as I write this. The Chessbase article even has photos of the two working together at Kasparov's summer residence in Croatia. Wow!

I have been following Carlsen's progress ever since he came into the limelight as a thirteen year old some five years ago. I also had the opportunity to observe him at the board up close at the Dresden Olympiad last year. I believe he has what it takes to be the greatest player of all time, even over-shadowing Kasparov himself. It says a lot about Kasparov character that he is willing to help Carlsen achieve his ambitions.

The question now is not whether Carlsen will become World Champion, but when.

0 comments:

Post a Comment