Saturday, December 19, 2009

Asian Team Championship 2009

There is not much news about this event which will start tomorrow 20th December till 29 December 2009 in Kolkota, India. Our Malaysian Chess Federation is strangely silent on this and with the current Malaysian Masters Final still on-going, it is certain that Malaysia is not participating.

It will not be the first time that Malaysia is not participating. It is a pity since this event was first organized in 1974 in Malaysia. The challenge trophy is named after our former prime minister Tun Abdul Razak.

I remember this tournament well as in 1974 it was held in the Dewan Sri Pinang in Penang. As young boy I was recruited to assist in the tournament. My job was to take down the moves of two boards and pass the moves to a runner. The runner's job was to bring the moves to the operators of the demonstration boards outside the tournament hall. It was the best job I had in my life and I still cannot believe I was actually paid to do it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment